Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Even The Tiniest Purchase Is Being Affected.

I am the quintessential recessionista: I had to give up pieces of luxury and spend it on practicality. Basically,I have to sometimes have that "quantity over quality" mentality now even though I want to be vice versa. Don't get me wrong, I still have my crazy splurges: Chanel necklaces, Marc Jacobs hat, etc. But those are pieces that you can recycle and never go out of style. You can outfit couture with a pair of H&M denim (which is awesome since they have a Balmain powder blue denim jean right now!) with some Dolce&Gabbana sunglasses. My biggest splurge at recently was a MacBook because my PC which I loved, built, and had for over 4 1/2 years got busted. It needs to retire. It couldn't keep up with new updated technology. A laptop is totally practical in my lifestyle even though it's not in the recession sense.

I also had to cut back on purchasing magazines. I'm that type of person who is never satisfied purchasing American Vogue, W, and Harper's Bazaar. I will go through great lengths to drive 15 minutes away to this cute magazine stand that sells L'Uomo Vogue (Men's Italian Vogue A.K.A. THE BIBLE), Hercules, and the new British magazine LOVE. European magazines, although filled with rich content, GREAT editorials, and ACTUAL models on the cover, can be very pricey ranging from $10-15 a pop! These publishers know that they are very affected by this so most great magazines decided to be on the blogosphere and has found a new outreach to the fashionably yet recession-hit consumer.

Check any magazine website and they have blogs. Some even have blogs on blogspot! Great style blogs have surfaced such as BryanBoy.com, a 22-year old Filipino who lives in my third-world country of the Philippines, has become a fashion superstar, bumping shoulders with French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld and is a big Marc Jacobs fan to the point where Marc himself has noticed him and has named a bag after him in his Fall/Winter '08 collection. There is also a great blog that I follow run by fashion photographer Scott Schumann (thesartorialist.com), a man who had a passion for great tailored style, has become a big hit in the world, that he has landed a gig with DKNY jeans. He also modeled for the GAP!

And for the men out there! Check out contributingeditor.blogspot.com, an online magazine with great photographers and actual working male models. It beats spending $15 on a European magazine.

Sidetrack: I'm at Coffee Bean and I just spotted gay icon Carol Channing. My inner queen just came out.

Anyways, support you fashion sites. Because I want to be as impacting as them. As what Madonna told Dick Clark when he asked her what she wanted to do in the future during her starting "Lucky Star" days..

"I WANT TO RULE THE WORLD"





Yummy Yummy Screw, no?


(image from contributingeditor.blogspot.com)

No comments: